Thursday, January 6, 2011

Dia de la Abby #32: Quilt Block Inspiration Skull


This skull is for inspiration for a project we would love for you all the help with. In March 2010, I met a woman, Becky Lee, who runs Becky's Fund. She helps victims of domestic violence in many ways. Though I've been fortunate not to have been a victim of domestic violence, I have some very close friends that have. I wanted to do something to help prevent domestic violence. I decided to make quilts, auction them off and donate the funds to Becky's Fund.

I'm enlisting you all to help. I would like you all to make quilt blocks for us. They need to be 12" by 12" square. They must have a skull on it. You can use any materials you want. Think outside the box. This is an art quilt. For my inspiration piece, I used fabric, fabric flowers, sequins and feathers. Please leave 1" around free of decoration. I recommend using cotton fabric as a base. I will be sewing the blocks together to form multiple quilts. I will need to iron the seams flat, so I can quilt the blocks to the backing. I don't want your fabrics and decorations to melt when I iron the seams. Please include your name, current location (state, country, providence, city, etc.), and a good email for you. I plan on emailing each of you to let you know that we received your block.

This is a project that anyone of any skill level can do. Pass it along to your friends. It's an easy way to get involved in a great project. After you all have made your blocks, please mail them to us at:
Skull-A-Day
PO Box 73236
Richmond, VA 23235

We can't reimburse you for the shipping. I do recommend if you do this with a group, send them together. I know in the US, we can send thing in a flat rate box through the United States Postal Service. I used this type of shipping a lot and it cuts down on shipping costs. The boxes come in multiple sizes. The more blocks you ship together, the more money you save on shipping.

Details on the auction are in the works. I will definitely post those details when I have them, just in case any of you would like to purchase one.

If you have any questions about this project, please email me at abby@skulladay.com

I'll be posting reminders and updates as the project progresses. You all have until Saturday, May 28, 2011 to send us the blocks. This is one week before our Skull-A-Day anniversary and Skull Appreciation Day.




Every week in the 4.0 year, I will post my own Dia de la Abby posts as well as a tutorial with instructions on how I made my piece. Hopefully you feel inspired by my posts just as I was by Noah's Skull-A-Day 1.0 daily project. Need more of me than just a weekly dose, follow me on Twitter and/or Facebook.

10 comments:

Sarah Bayly said...

Oooh fab idea, I'll def make one.

I might make a skull that incorporates a rabbit too ...

Sarah
(http://arabbitaday.blogspot.com/)

Abby Davis said...

That would be really cute.

BTW, I love your rabbit a day project. You make adorable rabbits.

Amy said...

oooohhhh! A friend and I were just about to start quilting and this is the perfect impetus! Off to share the link and think on my skull.

Tad n' Tina said...

Do you have a free online printable pattern available?

Noah said...

The idea is to come up with your own unique skull images! But if you want a stencil to work with there are several free ones HERE.

Territory Mom said...

Very interesting! I'll start working on one.

Anonymous said...

What's the dead line?

Noah said...

The deadline is May 28th, but obviously you're welcome to send them in anytime before then as well!

Sarah said...

I will definitely join in with this, it's a cause dear to my heart

Anonymous said...

In a bag & in the mail 2morrow